Monday, June 17, 2013

The Adventures of Elder Clement: Gall(way) Bladder

Herro!

It was so good to hear from y'all this week. It's been a lukewarm one here in Galway! But the cure for any rainy day over here is to get to work... and go get more wet.

Besides the normal finding and contacting we did this week, we focused a lot on the members of the branch. Elder Leonard and I got assigned to be the acting young men's presidency -- that's been a focus because we have two semi-active young men, and 2 less-active young men. Like most 12-14 yr olds who are bullied about being Mormons in a Catholic school, they don't especially enjoy coming to church. Elder Leonard and I have been storming up possible activity/lesson ideas that will get them excited, and help them to remain active until those days when church is a time they wouldn't miss for anything! President Brown told us that it's probably the best use of our time.

We still had plenty of teaching time this week with investigators. We meet a lot, lot, lot of people who think they've found 'God's path for them, individually'. Most people think that if you live a good life, and do what seems right to you, God will bless you accordingly.

Our message is that it takes a heck of a lot more than that. Unfortunately, in this confused world we live in there are people that justify doing terrible things, sometimes even in the name of God. What's right to you may be wrong to me, and vice versa. 
Luckily, our all-knowing, all-loving Heavenly Father has created a Plan and a path for all of us, collectively and individually. That path follows steps that ensue change in us all, and is centered on the Atonement of Jesus Christ.

We share with people that it's not enough to find your own truth that is comfortable for you -- that God's truth is the only truth that matters, and that the only way we can find that for ourselves is by going directly to Him: the only source of peace and true joy.
Finding that truth will be anything but comfortable! The purpose of the Atonement is to change us, to become more like Christ and our Heavenly Father. As we begin to take steps of faith on that path, many times uncomfortably, we are blessed with true comfort, as we are baptised and receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost.

Every person needs to hear our message. Everyone is looking for something more. Everyone has similar questions to young Joseph Smith. As we act, the Lord reaches out in abundance. That is our message, and that's what we want everyone to know.

With yesterday being Father's Day we got to go around to all of the members and sing for them the hymn of their choice. I brought my guitar and a lil hymnbook and it was a great experience! When we went to sing to our senior couple, Elder and Sister Wilson cried. I have so much love for senior missionaries that leave their children and grandchildren behind to go and serve.
What have I left behind? My parents and siblings? a textbook? Not really much in comparison.

I love and respect you, Dad, for raising me in an environment that learns, works, and finds opportunities to serve others.
You are the best example of those three qualities that I have ever met in all of my 18.99 years. If more men in this world learned to develop the character of Christ as you have, there would be very little wrong with this world. I would have no need to be here in Ireland on a mission. In reality, there's a lot wrong with this world. I meet people every day: fathers, husbands, grandfathers, that I want to be like you, Dad. You're the reason I'm here and you're the example I want to live up to every day when I wake up. I could never wake up at 4AM every day to study Korean, but I'm trying to work as hard as I see you work. I love you and I think about you all the time.

I'm out of time, but I care about all of you and I'm praying for the missionary work that's being done back home. Thank you for the emails and letters!

Till next week,

Elder Clement
 
 
Oh, just some old structure just next to Elder Clement's flat (!!)

Elder Clement and "a yummy ramen sandwich called a 'tongan'"
 

No comments:

Post a Comment