Tuesday, July 30, 2013

The Adventures of Elder Clement: July 22

Hey y'all!

I'm sorry I didn't get to email last week, but we had a fun time at Blarney Castle! Plus, I kissed the Blarney Stone... Once in a lifetime opportunity. It was a great castle and there's even an awesome cave on the land that has a chimney full of Ireland missionary's signatures. Picture attached.

The last couple weeks the weather has been brutal! I thought I was going to be getting away from the Texas heat this summer but I was pretty wrong. It has been between 29 and 33 degrees Celsius for more than two weeks (between 85 and 92 F) nonstop! It's been the hottest weather in Ireland since 1972. You win this time, Al Gore.

Work wise, the past couple weeks has been great! We finally were able to sift the wheat from the tares when it comes to those individuals who we've met who have potential to keep appointments and learn, eventually accepting the Gospel.

One of our investigators, Sharon, will be getting baptised this Saturday! The 27th will be a special day for me and my family in more ways than one if everything goes well. Sharon is an Irish gypsie, or traveler, who we've been teaching for about 2 months. Irish gypsies are much different than Romanian or other types. It's essentially just a culture in Ireland than is mostly intermarried with very traditional values. They're an interesting people, to say the least.

Sharon is solid, though. When we began teaching her we saw very little potential for change within her, but it's been amazing to see the change for good that has been wrought in her countenance through the Restored Gospel. She's changed her appearance, language, actions, and habits, all in ways that have led her to Jesus Christ and the high morals He has shown us through a modern Prophet. We're so excited for Saturday.

Another cool thing happened this week. I've been concerned recently with the new focus our mission has regarding sharing the gospel through 'modern' finding methods, instead of being straightforward in sharing the Restoration with those we meet. Because of this, I decided to write a letter to Joseph Fielding McConkie (my favourite gospel scholar, son of Bruce R. McConkie, and past president of the Scotland Edinburgh mission) to ask him for advice. My letter said the following:

Brother Mcconkie,

I will try to keep this brief as I know you're a busy man. My name is Elder Wyatt Clement from Austin, TX, and I've been serving for 1.5 months now in the Scotland/Ireland mission.

I just wanted to take a few moments to thank you for the insight and knowledge you've reflected through your books and devotional addresses. Many of your words have brought me increased faith, and additional insight on the responsibility I have as a missionary to testify of the message of the Restoration.

As I've studied these matters and found a deep conviction in the events collectively related to the Restoration, as well as its resulting revelation given to us in these days, I've found it important to share that explicitly in my work.

Unfortunately, the missions focus has begun to turn more toward 'creative finding' methods, such as family history GQing and advertising for free English classes... I don't know what I should do. I don't have any position of leadership, so it's not my place to voice my opinions to my leaders, but I didn't come on a mission to teach people English and I refuse to waste my time doing such finding.

I'm at a loss for whether I should listen to the words of my leaders and Mission President, or obey the commission given to me by God to spread the news of the Restored Gospel. My feelings are towards the latter.

Any insight or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much,

Elder Clement


All of us missionaries in the flat were curious as to if he would actually respond, and to my great surprise I got an email this week from him! Here's what he said:

The 4th section of the D&C (which I assume you quote in each of your missionary meetings) tells us that we serve God in order to lay up in store that we perish not.  (D&C 4:4).
Simply stated, this means that we serve as missionaries to work out our own salvation.  An essential part of this is that we honor the oath and covenant of the Melchizedek Priesthood.  (D&C 84:36)  For a time and a season this is your mission president; his role is to lead and yours is to follow.  As in all things principles save and programs do not.  As you serve as a missionary and in other capacities you will discover that pigeons are in some instances called to preside over eagles and that there is "a more excellent way". 
Watch and learn so that when the time comes that you are entrusted with positions of leadership that you might lift those you lead to a higher level.
As to your present situation, in teaching situations in which the stewardship is yours always begin and end your testimony with the witness that Joseph Smith is a prophet and be true to the Restoration and the Holy Ghost will be your constant companion.
As Ever,
JFM


I was so excited when I read this. He really had some great advice for me.

I love being here as a missionary. I love the missionary force that is continuously sweeping the earth, preparing God's children for the second coming of His Son. I know that Joseph Smith is a Prophet -- without him and without the Book of Mormon I would have no true understanding of Heavenly Father or Jesus Christ.

I hope you all have a great week! have fun in Utah!
I can't believe my baby sister Zoe is getting married on Saturday. They grow up so fast.

Love y'all!

Till next week,
Elder Clement


"The missionary cave"

"The view from the top of the castle"

"Me kissing the Blarney stone"

"Chili cheese fries that I made for din din"

No comments:

Post a Comment