Monday, May 27, 2013

The Adventures of Elder Clement: "Da Field" (his words, not mine)

This is Elder Clement's first e-mail to us from his first area (Galway, Ireland)!

His address there is in this e-mail as well.

"Hello from the great Republic!

It feels like forever since I've written home -- probably because so much has happened in the past week!
We drove to the mission home in Edinburgh last Wednesday morning, and once we got there there were like 30 missionaries waiting for us! They told us to change into street clothes and we all went and hiked Arthur's Seat -- or as the mission calls it, Pratt's Hill. Soon after the Restoration of the Church, Orson Pratt was called to serve as a missionary in Scotland. When he got there he realized how rough of a task this was. He climbed Arthur's Seat and prayed to the Lord. He petitioned for God to help him receive 200 people to baptism. He presented what he would sacrifice and commit to doing to call these people to repentance and help them receive the Restored Gospel.
After Orson Pratt left Scotland there were over 215 active Latter-day Saints in the area surrounding Edinburgh.

Now, as similar Saints called to serve God in Scotland and Ireland, every missionary climbs Arthur's Seat, or Pratt's Hill, and offers God the things each is willing to sacrifice to be a successful missionary in bringing the gospel to those we come in contact with. After climbing to the top and taking moments to pray, we all gathered together and sung 'High on a Mountain Top' together. The Spirit that was felt there was amazing. What a beautiful tradition.

After returning to the mission home we ate, had a few meetings, met with the Mission President individually, and then finally were assigned our companions and areas!

My companion is Elder Leonard. He is AWESOME. We were assigned to whitewash in Galway, Ireland. As neither of us had been here before, we had quite the task in front of us.

All the missionaries assigned to Scotland areas left soon after, but everyone going to Northern or Republic of Ireland stayed the night and left early in the morning. Elder Leonard and I went GQing (street contacting) that first night and it was pretty crazy!

We spent ALL day Thursday traveling to Ireland. The mission is SO huge and travel takes forever! We took a few buses from Edinburgh to west Scotland, then a ferry to Northern Ireland, then more buses to Dublin. We got to Dublin around 5 and had missionaries to pick up from the airport and dinner to eat, so we had to spend the night at the Dublin ZL's flat. Friday morning we got up for yet another day of travel. After a 3 hour bus ride we finally arrived in Galway on Friday at 2!

Still alive from all the travel last week, and all I have to say is wow! This place is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen! So much amazing scenery. There are so many HUGE, lush green hills. Every time I see one I picture Tamsin starting at the top and rolling down on her back and belly.

So many sheep, too! It really gives a new meaning to me when I read Jesus' words as he tells me to "Feed my lambs". I've got double duty.

Galway is awesome! And Elder Leonard is a MACHINE. Seriously -- if he doesn't radiate valiant missionary I don't know who does. I've been so lucky to have him as a trainer. He's so wise.. like a miniature Buddha.. covered in hair.
We also have a car and a four-man flat! How neat is that! The four-man flat is such a blessing. I've been able to experience the hard work of being a missionary but been eased in to the lonely secluded life that comes with only to 2 missionaries to a huge city.

I finally drove British style a few days ago! It's super scary. Plus, the cars are all tiny so the brakes and gas are super sensitive. It was fun, though! I'm getting the hang of it. When I get back I'll have to get used to the right side of the road, again :/

Elder Leonard is sweet! He's been on his mission for 18 months and goes home at the end of October. He's one of the best missionaries in our mission. That's saying a lot, because we have 170 missionaries currently serving in Scotland/Ireland and we'll have 210 serving by the end of this year. He is so good at talking to people. He says the best way to share the gospel in this mission is through good people skills. There are so many catholics here in Ireland that nobody wants to listen. Even if they get drunk every night and haven't attended mass since they were 9, tradition keeps nearly everyone from even giving us 2 minutes to talk to them. All that means is that we need to work harder and be more obedient.

The work has been going great. We've been doing a LOT of finding, as we're whitewashing and this is the first time four missionaries have been assigned to Galway. Elder Leonard is so good, though. I've finally gotten to the point to where I'm happy all the time when we're tracting of GQing, no matter how many people are rude and don't want to listen! Our purpose is to invite others to come unto Christ by helping them receive the Restored Gospel, through faith in Jesus Christ and His Atonement, repentance, baptism, receiving the Gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end. As long as I'm inviting people to come to know Christ more personally, and presenting them the fullness of His Gospel and the steps it takes to return to our Heavenly Father, I'm fulfilling my purpose. It doesn't matter if people don't want to listen -- that just means they're not ready.

Going further, however, our purpose is to prepare people for baptism. That's what will help people show their faith in Jesus Christ and their commitment to His gospel. Baptism is something that doesn't come easy in this mission. Last year, the average per year for each missionary was 1.6 baptisms. Elder Leonard and I are planning on getting a lot more than that. The key is to go to work! We've committed 2 people to baptism on June 15th so far! Please pray that as we continue to teach them that they won't let the worldly influences and traditions keep them from being touched by the Holy Ghost and keeping their commitments.

We'll keep on trucking! I love you all. Thank you for your prayers and emails. My address in Galway is:
12b Hybrasail Court, Newcastle, Galway, Ireland

And thank you so much for sending the frisbee! Everyone at the mission home cheered when they called me up to get my package because it was so obvious it was a disc. hahahaha. I'm so glad y'all were smart and sent it through amazon.co.uk! If anyone wants to send me packages that is the way to go. Any website that is .co.uk or ships to Ireland is the best thing to do. It will come way sooner and you can actually send it to my address. If anyone sends a package from the states they have to send it to the mission home and I won't get it for probably months, because I'm so far away from there. Also, you would have to pay customs and that could range anywhere from £15 to £60 just for a package of snacks! If you don't know how much that is, let me just tell you that it's RIDICULOUS. Going EVEN further, depending on what is in the package from the states, I have to pay to pick it up!
It's just not smart.

If anyone wants to send a package, there are plenty of UK websites that will avoid all those troubles and are actually pretty handy! Y'all can even be lovely human beings and ship groceries to my front porch from online TESCO or ASDA (asda only in scotland)! Isn't that neat?! But there's a variety of options. Or you can just put money on my debit card, hahaha.

I love you all! I'll keep you updated! Still not sure about skyping home yet. We'll do it sometime!

My spiritual message for this week is quite long and I'm afraid that it's homework. I want anyone and everyone who reads this to look up the "Character of Christ" devotional by Elder David A. Bednar to the Provo MTC. It's probably one of the best devos I've ever seen.

I want to share with you my personal love and conviction for Jesus Christ and the character He displayed without fail throughout His earthly ministry. I know He died for us and I know He lives. We should all strive to emulate the life He lived! He was the perfect comforter and the perfect missionary. Now, we all have access to His comfort by being baptized by one who holds authority and by receiving the Gift of the Holy Ghost -- so His peace and direction can always be with us. That is what I'm sharing for the next two years. What a beautiful message and what a complete Gospel!
I know it's His Gospel. I love to share it!

With love,
Elder Clement"
 










 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment