Monday, May 27, 2013

The Adventures of Elder Clement: He's alive!

Hello from the UK! y'all are probably still asleep but WOW! I can't believe I've only been here at the MTC for a week. But that means only one week left!
Where to begin?
What an uplifting and enlightening week as I've spent 16 hours a day studying and learning to teach. It's pretty crazy how much gets done in one day! Our main focus has been learning how to teach the Doctrine of Christ through the Spirit. By getting to know our investigators and inviting the Spirit into our lessons, we can better apply specific points of each lesson to certain individuals according to their needs -- under the promptings and impressions of the Spirit.
My MTC President is awesome -- his name is President Edwards. Pres and Sister Edwards used to be the Mission Presidents of the Zimbabwe Harare Mission from 2000-2003!
There are 64 missionaries at the Preston MTC. 6 Districts, and 2 Zones. I was called as Zone Leader for our Zone -- the Kimball Zone. 5 of the districts got here at the same time as me last week, but one of my disctricts is the English Second Language District; they're from all over and almost all of them spoke zero English when they got here. They're on their 5th week now and will leave to the field the same day as us.
Teaching investigators is sweet. The MTC teachers role play as investigators in the TRC (Training Resource Center), and it's seriously like real life. I'll be like super comfortable with a teacher here, but when they role play an investigator it will be just like I've never met them. The way it's so realistic is that they play characters that are real investigators that they taught on their missions. Therefore, they know everything about them and no matter what they will never break character. There are rooms set up in the TRC that look exactly like homes.
The UK is AWESOME!
It's so beautiful over here. The cars are tiny. I'll attach a picture of this cute little Geo Metro that we saw -- Just for the Jamison Clan. It's awesome having the Preston Temple 100 feet away! What a bautiful temple. We get to go through a session later on today. Also, tonight we'll be visited by Elder Snow from the First Quorum of the Seventy.
The people here are awesome. All of the teachers and everyone here at the MTC are British or from somewhere in the UK. Some of my favorite phrases they use include:
"I'm not bothered" instead of "whatever"
"She's proper fit" instead of "she's cute"
"I have to take a wee" instead of "I have to go to the bathroom"
And one of my MTC teachers is Sister Bennie from Scotland -- she ALWAYS says "you's" instead of "you guys" or for any other plural form of addressing a group. You would be amazed at how distracting it is. Probably because she says it constantly, as she's a teacher who's always addressing a group.
My other teacher is Brother McClure from Manchester. He's awesome. He reminds me of Rory McCullough.. or at least how I would picture him to look and act right now.
I'm the only missionary from Texas, and I'm pretty sure that's the first thing everyone thinks of when they see me. How unfortunate.
It's mostly because I say "y'all" so much, but I refuse to stop.
Overall, it's been pretty awesome here at the MTC. The English food is good, and the bathrooms are super nice. Everything is different here. We went to the British version of Walmart today, called ASDA. (I forgot my camera when we went -- sorry!) But it's owned by Walmart and it's essentially the same thing, just everything is green instead of blue, it's way classier, and everything is in pounds, obviously.
On Sunday last week, Elder Bednar spoke to us (as an extension of the Provo MTC) and it was really an answer to the purpose for my fast. He talked about "How do I know if it's the Spirit teaching or Just Me?"
His answer was: "Quit worrying about it! be a good boy! be a good girl! Honor your covenants! Move forward with an eye of faith and a hope in Christ, and you will be guided by the Holy Ghost. If you are obedient and diligent, every good thought you have during a lesson will be inspired by the Holy Ghost."
It was a very powerful talk.
I lover being here at the MTC. I love being a missionary. I love the fact that I pray probably 60 times a day here! I love how simple it is to teach investigators and invite them to come unto Christ because I have taken the necessary preparations to learn before my mission, and because I have my own personal testimony of every principle we teach.
Elder Holland once said in an address to the MTC: "Stop worrying about how much you know or do not know. Whatever you know, it is enough."
To pre-missionaries reading this -- STUDY PREACH MY GOSPEL. To those who refuse -- know that you'll be alright. I know that Elder Hogge will be alright.
Something I want to leave you all with is a message about prayer from Preach My Gospel:
"As we pray with faith, sincerity, and real intent, we will see God's influence in our lives. He will guide us in our daily lives and help us make good decisions. He will bless us with feelings of comfort and peace. He will warn us of danger and strengthen us to resist temptations. He will forgive our sins. We will feel closer to Him. We must learn to recognize His influence in our lives. We must learn to listen to the still, small voice of the Spirit."
I know that prayer is one of the most powerful resources we have to have peace in our lives. As we pray we allow God to influence our lives for the better. Whenever you're struggling, pray!
Sorry for all the pictures. It's your job to guess who is who!
I love you all! Thank you for the prayers and emails!
Stay sweet.
With love (L-O-V-E),
Elder Clement

No comments:

Post a Comment