Monday, December 22, 2014

December 22: Arrrrland

Hello from rainy Dublin!

This week has been really weird, but exciting!

I was more than excited to leave the business of the mission home to come to Dublin on Wednesday morning. A group of us took a long bus ride and the ferry to Belfast, then another bus to Dublin, where I finally met the zone leaders and my new companion Elder Vasváry.

The rest of the week has been a serious adjustment! There weren't really any investigators in the teaching pool and nothing much was happening. In addition, we don't have a car and public transport is rubbish, so we walk about 10-12 miles per day. Things are already picking up, though! There are resolutions to our problems, so we'll work to fix them! Hopefully we'll have bikes soon ;)

Every day I've been spending a lot of time trying to get to know the area and the members. It's an awesome ward! I don't know many of the members yet, but all the families I've met seem so happy, kind, and willing to help. We're going to keep trying to develop relationships with members so we can do missionary work through them.

It's a serious change of living coming from the mission office! But I love it so much already. It feels so good to have so much time to devote to the needs of the people we're teaching and the members here. I never thought I would get to the point on my mission where I just love missionary work 100% -- even things like planning and cleaning and talking on the phone.

Elder Vasváry is good. His english is pretty good, too, considering he's only been out 3 months! I'm enjoying working with him. We've found some solid people the last few days. There are lots of foreigners in our area; I've missed them so much!!!!

A few fun times this week:
Teaching a family of Irish travellers in a beat up one-room trailer in a dodgy back-alley.
Teaching a drunk Irish man who was smoking his cigarette whilst laying down and blowing the smoke up the chimney (look out santa).

I love this work. I love being a missionary. I love developing immediate connections with people we meet; on the street or members of the church here.

I hope this week we can remember to serve others! Jesus Christ set the perfect example for us and through him we will find rest.

All the best,
Elder Clement

No comments:

Post a Comment