Elder Barney got here on Monday, so we've been in a trio the whole week. It's so good to have him here. I'm really looking forward to working with him.
The entire week has just been crazy because of the Referendum (Scottish vote for independence from the UK). There have been so many posters, stickers, advertising booths, canvassers, and literally every other type of publicity/advertising you can think of. We saw a lot more for the 'Yes' campaign here in Midlothian, so we really thought Scotland finally would gain their independence from the vote on Thursday.
Unfortunately for some, the 'No' vote had more supporters and as we found out at 6:30AM on Friday, Scotland will remain part of the United Kingdom. Many of the ward members were broken up about this. I was pretty sad as well -- less for political views than pure pride -- but life goes on!
On top of the Referendum this week was up and down. Our good friend Heather told us she doesn't want any more contact with us or the Church, so that's too bad. It's always so hard to see people give up on Christ -- especially those who are preparing for baptism.
So I have a determined resolve to take every opportunity to find new people, even when it seems no one wants to listen. Because I know that the message we share is one of hope through Jesus Christ, and I have to provide people the chance to accept it!
After feeling down a bit this week, we had Stake Conference on Saturday and Sunday and they were by far the best sessions of any stake conference I've attended. President and Sister Brown were there along with Elder and Sister Herbertson of the Area Seventy. Elder Herbertson is Scottish and he is an amazing public speaker.
The conference was themed around acting in the way God would have us. It surrounded the idea that it's not good enough just to have a knowledge of the Gospel or the teachings of the Savior; we have to do everything in our power to embrace His teachings and act on His behalf.
The quote comes to mind:
"Pray as though everything depends on God. Work as if everything depends on you."
We spent all week this week moves planning with President Brown. It's such a cool experience -- It becomes so apparent which missionaries should move where and the benefits to each transfer.
Yesterday was moves call -- I just love talking to all the missionaries. They're great.
There are some crazy moves happening this week that we've been planning ahead for for months. We also have 12 sisters finishing their missions... the largest number in our mission probably ever. So this week will be good!
I love you all. Talk soon!
Elder Clement
What Midlothian has looked like for the past 3 weeks
We got kebabs last week.. How ironic is this?
Elder Boehme looking Scottish
Some game [supposedly korean] elders played at the mission home on Saturday
Me making political views
Trio
Me and E Barney (new companion)
No comments:
Post a Comment