Sunday, September 15, 2013

The Adventures of Elder Clement: September 2

Herro!

We've had a fun week in Ireland. The week began with zone conference in Limerick -- it was great to see President Brown and the Assistants and to get counsel from them.

We were blessed this week to meet and exceed almost all of our goals! We have some great new investigators. One of my favorites (is that wrong?) is a Brazilian woman and her 9 yr old daughter, who are both excited to read the Book of Mormon.

We had a fun YSA activity here in Galway that we got to get a few investigators and less-active members out to. We went bowling -- it was the first normal social event I've gone to in months! How neat. The bowling here is ghetto.. it's pretty funny. The pins are attached to strings instead of getting completely knocked down and replaced.

We also decided to get a little sassy on our grocery shopping this week and we bought two chickens.. So after fasting yesterday we had a feast of baked chicken (we each got half a chicky), instant mashed potatoes (delicious), and instant stuffing (mediocre). We were late to an appointment so we had to eat it all in 8 minutes.

Elder Massey and I are getting along well! He's a good kid. He has no problem talking to people -- we're just working on getting him excited WHILE he's talking to people.

I've really learned that half the battle with missionary work (at least here) is people skills. I've been working hard every day on trying to develop those skills and a love for everyone we meet.

It's sometimes hard to invest love in everyone you meet, because often people reject you or play you in return. But, because it would not be meaningful if it was easy, I know God wants me to show love to everyone, even if it leaves me and my expectations vulnerable.

I love this work. Unfortunately, it passes quickly. Today is my 4 month mark. It really feels like it's been no time at all since I was patiently awaiting the day where I would leave home to be here!

What is important now, though, is the week we have ahead. Elder Massey and I will be focusing a lot on member-present lessons and getting our investigators who are preparing for baptism to church!

I would invite you all to set meaningful goals for yourselves this week. I know you're not missionaries and you don't have a set list of key indicators like I do, and I may just be beginning to feel uncomfortable leaving a conversation without extending an invitation, but I know that we see success in our lives as we set goals.

M Russel Ballard once said:

"I am so thoroughly convinced that if we don’t set goals in our life and learn how to master the technique of living to reach our goals, we can reach a ripe old age and look back on our life only to see that we reached but a small part of our full potential. When you learn to master the principle of setting a goal, you will then be able to make a great difference in the results you attain in this life."

I love you all and I hope you have a great week!

Elder Clement


No comments:

Post a Comment